Friday, May 27, 2005

Lucas, there is still good in you. I can feel it.

Apart from a few shortcomings, I felt the magic again.

In spite of the recycled lines from later episodes, uncannily familiar sets (think Obiwan retreating from 'Annie' on a narrow beam), repeated lectures on points of view (“from my point of view you're evil!”). In spite of some plot threads coming together too neatly (Chewbacca, anyone?). In spite of the mostly unoriginal soundtrack, where the few original pieces were mostly forgettable (is John Williams is losing it?). In spite of the overly showy, flashy and unrealistic lightsaber duels. In spite of some superfluous lines ("I saw your ship land." "Luke" "Leia" Lucas, sometimes less is more.)

“Only a Sith thinks in absolutes.” Right right. To that I say, “Sweeping statements are no good.” And besides, didn't you Masters think that Annie was lost for good? Yet his son managed to turn him.

I couldn't bring myself to like the first one even after seeing it a second time. I was hoping that when I watched it again I'd form some kind of cheesy emotional attachment to it. But I didn't. The second one I generally try to forget I ever saw, and I think I've been mostly successful. Until this one came along.

Was it the one-liners by Anthony Daniels? (“I feel so.. helpless”) Was it because that annoying digital cretin had his speech functions removed (rejoice!)? Was it the fulfillment of the prophecy by The One? Or is it just the soundtrack that conveniently lapses into the score from the next episode?

It may well be.

I could care less what happened to the Trade Federation or even the Republic. But I was attached to Annie. And wondering how Windu would come to his grisly end. And how Annie would end up in his new all-black suit with polypropylene mask and coloured green and red buttons. Along with the change in his point of view. And the contrast between the blackened, charred guy clinging on to his own life, while the perfectly healthy girl in white losing her grip on it while creating 2 others was pretty good. Even the midwife droid that was making gurgling sounds couldn't quite ruin it.

Anyway, one of my friends was complaining about how they dragged the ending. You know, the parts where they delivered the babies and mindwiped the droids. I thought it wasn't too bad. At that point I didn't quite want the movie to end anyway. But if they wanted to tie it all up, they should have showed how C-3PO and R2-D2 ended up with the desert karanguni caravan. Oh well. Can't have it all I guess.

Thanks, Lucas. Now you only need to remake the first two. Or maybe just the second one. Actually, an episode VII may not be too bad, if u can keep this up :) May the Force be with you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

O the irony!

The statement “Only a Sith thinks in absolutes.” is itself an absolute. Does that make the person who uttered it a Sith? (Watch the logic of the whole movie unravel henceforth... *evil cackle*)

Fri May 27, 01:35:00 PM GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home