Thursday, September 09, 2004

Confirm, Guarantee, waiting for Chop

When I saw another "on gahmen service" letter waiting for me, my heart skipped a beat. I immediately tore it open and saw "the remaining period of your 6-year PSC scholarship bond will be transferred to NUS upon your ORD in Aug 05", "We have informed NUS and they would contact you soon", and "They have no chance to survive make their time." Pulse resumed beating.

Perhaps I was needlessly worrying after all. I just hope NUS doesn't contact me telling me to look for a job elsewhere.

In other news, 2 people just told me that the grilled fish at the hawker centre near my place is good. To think I've never tried that stall myself. Apparently they were both willing to travel long distances to eat there. It's amazing.

Oh and the dry fried hor fun at queenstown centre (between the commonwealth and queensway MRTs) is good. Went for a sermon at this "Fisherman of Christ" at the behest of a colleague. Was 1 of only 3 unsaved souls there. Managed to stay awake until nearly the end. Was harassed by this really persistent "counselor". Anyway I think the pastor used a really unfortunate choice of metaphors. When he said "the all-seeing Eye of God" the image of Sauron's Eye leapt into my mind.

Anyway was wondering abit about the patriarchy of Christianity. God is portrayed as a fatherly figure. In the parable of the prodigal lost son in the book of Luke, the father is like a personification of God. Jesus is male, and so is his Dad. But can't help wondering about where his Mom went. Especially after having read Da Vinci Code - the Magdelene conspiracy etc. Is there a reason they suppress Mom? Perhaps having a a loving and forgiving Dad packs a stronger emotional punch? Mom's love is unconditional after all.

And when he started on the "relationship with Him" immediately 7 habits leapt to mind - Effectiveness is all about relationships - your relationship with yourself, family, friends, etc..

Well it's not really that I don't believe in the idea of a creator. I can appreciate how beautiful the universe is, and it's hard to fathom how something so intricate could have arisen from a void. But, to quote Jodie Foster in Contact, "There's no data either way." And it's hard to buy literally into any particular religion's point of view. And the speaker was talking about how someone would "lay down his life for the Lord". At that point I was thinking fanatics, suicide bombers and jihadiers, but I guess he probably meant something more benign like volunteering or something.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey... just randomly followed links and got to your blog. it makes for an amusing read. so what research does nus physics do anyway? btw.. is your lab head kien boon? and... dy isn't really that hot... heh.=)

Thu Sep 09, 10:54:00 AM GMT+8  
Blogger bean said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Thu Sep 09, 11:37:00 AM GMT+8  
Blogger bean said...

How did you know Kien Boon? Been to DSO before? And if you're a guy your opinion on dy doesn't count :P

As for physics in NUS, I'm only familiar with the group I'm joining. I think the rest of the department does more applied and interdisciplinary stuff - surface science, nanotech etc. And to the best of my knowledge I think they have a guy working on black holes - Edward Teo.

Thu Sep 09, 02:38:00 PM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been to DSO? You don't remember that I met you while I was working at DSO?

Of course my opinion counts. I used to date DY!

Thu Sep 09, 11:12:00 PM GMT+8  
Blogger qdc said...

Oh it's her. Ha. Drop me a line, and I'll pass you her blog address. :P I don't know about hot, but he's the only geek we know of who can lay claim to a few girlfriends. Heh.

Anyway, PSC has decided they can do without me for two years, and I'm free to do first posting in DSO, or possibly A*STAR, NUS, NTU, as long as I go back to them for the next posting.

Fri Sep 10, 12:34:00 AM GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home