Tuesday, September 07, 2004

The (Posting) Saga Continues...

Argh. Counted my chickens before they hatched.

My lab head just told me today that the physics HoD said he didn't want me to transfer my bond to NUS. In retrospect, it's so obvious. The signs all fit together now. How the prof was so eager to take me, yet took such a long time to get support from the HoD. How he wanted to meet Irene to ask if I could go to nus to do research without transferring my bond. But both Irene and me went away with the impression that it would be ok to transfer in the end. And now that's what the commission thinks I'll be doing too. And how there's no reply from the prof after I emailed him about the favourable interview outcome and PSC's decision to transfer me to NUS.

Great.

Anyhow, perhaps the Commission's decision will override the HoD's opinion on the matter. After all, 9 old men outvote 1, right? Furthermore, it's bureaucrats and businessmen versus a lone academic. But the academic could remain stubborn. Apparently, he's against transfers because he's had some bad experiences with transferred scholars in the past who didn't pan out. But so what? Past performance is seldom indicative of future performance, and heck, that wasn't even my past performance. Once again, my fate is in the hands of a few old men. What's new? Except they're on my side this time. All but one.

Interestingly, my current supervisor in DSO was the HoD's student. Maybe I should ask him to put in a good word to his old advisor for me. Also, his classmate is now a lecturer in NUS, in the same group that I'm (hopefully) joining, which goes to show (yet again once more) how small Singapore is (or is it just the NUS physics department?).

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How exactly is Singapore's research compared to the rest of the world? Physics doesn't get as much funding or publicity compared to the life sciences.

Wed Sep 08, 02:52:00 AM GMT+8  
Blogger AcidFlask said...

Abysmal, if you are not in the life sciences. Like everywhere else, really, but scaled down to suit the smaller economy and population.

Wed Sep 08, 06:28:00 AM GMT+8  
Blogger bean said...

May I ask who the anonymous poster is?

Wed Sep 08, 11:02:00 AM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh, Acidflask sign up for livejournal leh...then I can add you and you can read my friends-only entries.

www.livejournal.com/~nilsinelabore

Wed Sep 08, 10:25:00 PM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Singaporean. You didn't catch my sarcasm in my blog did you? :)

Thu Sep 09, 10:06:00 PM GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home